Born in 1991 in Singerei, The Republic of Moldova.
Lives and works in Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
Pavel Grosu’s approach to painting is characterized by the prominence of the figurative, the preference for vague historical or social references, and the emphasis on the technical quality of the works, seen first and foremost as aesthetic objects. The artist deploys digital collage as a tool for building complex, carefully thought out compositional structures, later translated into paintings. In his newest series ‘Fragmented Dreams’, Grosu is challenging the many facets of representation through his often surrealist combination of elements. The fusion of contemporary human figures and ancient statues create an ongoing process of symbolism and signification, leaving the viewer in a state of wonder.
Pavel Grosu’s work engages with the topic of the fragmented or split reality in which we live. His paintings take as a starting point images from the media, being brought together as in a collage. He manipulates these media images in various ways to produce initial forms of digital collage: they are cut, juxtaposed, reshaped, blurred or inverted. By contorting them in some way, they confront the viewer with a rather confusing blend of visual stimuli – a disconcerting and disquieting mosaic.
Pavel Grosu was born in 1991 in the Republic of Moldova. He currently lives and works in the Romanian city of Cluj-Napoca, where he is doing a doctorate at the University of Art and Design. He recently has shown works at the Five Plus Art Gallery, Vienna, Austria (2016); Doris Ghetta Gallery, Milan, Italy (2017); Boccanera Gallery, Trento, Italy (2017); and Sector1 Gallery, Bucharest (2017).
- 2017 – now PhD at University of Art and Design, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- 2015 Masters Degree in Painting, University of Art and Design, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- 2013 Bachelors Degree in Painting, University of Art and Design, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- 2018 Garden of Unsettled Memories, Solo show, Sector 1 Gallery, Bucharest, Romania (Curated by Maria Rus Bojan) AWARDS 2008- First place, Gold Medal at Delphic Games (second edition) -Saratov, Russia
- 2019 Blue Bird, Sector 1 Gallery, Bucharest, Romania
- 2018 CREP, Galleria Doris Ghetta, Ortisei, Italy
- 2017 Haiku. Poems by emerging Romanian Artists, Boccanera Gallery, Trento, Italy
Un Incontro, Galleria Doris Ghetta, Milano, Italy
The Exquisite Corpse Drinks The New Wine, Sector 1 Gallery, Bucharest, Romania
- 2016 DIY (Do It Yourself), Cultural Space Gara Mica, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Resurrected, Five Plus Art Gallery Wien, Austria
WASBiennale 1st Worldwide Apartment and Studio Biennale, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Ambiguity of natural order, Artful Contemporary, Bucharest, Romania
Resurrected, Urania Palace, Cluj- Napoca, Romania
- 2015 Emergence, Visual Kontakt Gallery, Oradea, Romania
Nothing by Chance, Bazis Contemporary Art Space, Cluj- Napoca, Romania
berlininclujinberlin, Group show, Gara Mica, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- 2014 Hidden Field, Group Show in collaboration with Bazis Contemporary Art Space, Ultrastudio, Pescara, Italy
Light Color, Mie Lefever Gallery, Gent, Belgium
- 2013 Absorption, Group show in collaboration with Bazis Contemporary Art Space, Anaid Art Gallery, Bucharest
Group show, Minerva House Gallery, Cluj- Napoca, Romania
Group show, Eastward Prospectus, Bucharest, Romania
- 2012 Consent of the Subject, ExpoMaraton Contest, Cluj- Napoca, Romania
Rising Fever, Soimii Patriei Gallery, Cluj- Napoca, Romania
Genetically Modified, Amphitryon Art Space, Humanitas Library, Cluj- Napoca, Romania
- 2011 Gala Art Act, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- 2008 Group Show, Autumn salon, Constantin Brancusi Exhibition Center, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova