Born 1995 in Malaysia.
Lives and works in The Netherlands
Marcos Kueh is a textile artist from the Island of Borneo, with a professional background in Graphic Design and Advertising. His love affair with textiles started two years ago in his Academy’s textile workshop, while trying to find a sense familiarity to grasp onto while studying in the Netherlands. The ancestors of his land encapsulated their dreams, myths and hopes in their textiles. Many of Kueh’s textile works are explorations and speculations of the traditional meaning of the craft in the contemporary context. His practice has motivated him to work and learn about both the traditional weaving techniques back in Borneo and the ‘modern’ industrial weaving mills here in the Netherlands.
Marcos Kueh graduated from The Royal Academy of Art (KABK) in The Hague in 2022. He participated in the Best of Graduates 2022 exhibition at Galerie Ron Mandos, during which Joop van Caldenborgh, founder of Museum Voorlinden, awarded him the Young Blood Award of 2022. In October of 2022, Kueh started the Ron Mandos Young Blood Foundation Residency at the BRUTUS Lab in Rotterdam. His studio will be opened to visitors during Art Rotterdam 2023, running from February 8th to 12th. Currently, his work is also on view at Museum Voorlinden, Wassenaar, NL, and Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, NL. Previously, Marcos Kueh had exhibitions at Osaka International Art Fair, Osaka, JP; Architectural Biennal Rotterdam, NL; Kazerne, Eindhoven, NL, and The Backroom, Kuala Lumpur, MY.
- 2023 福禄寿: Three Contemporary Prosperities, Galerie Ron Mandos, NL
- 2022 Transcrossing Identities, Kazerne, Eindhoven, NL
Best of Graduates, Galerie Ron Mandos, Amsterdam, NL
When Things are Beings, Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, NL
This far and further, Museum Voorlinden, NL
- 2021 Now! Designing in Times of Climate Crisis, Architectural Biennal Rotterdam, NL
Transcrossing Identities, Kazerne, Eindhoven, NL
- 2020 What to Design in a World of Plenty, Voorlinden, The Hague, NL
Common Threads, The Backroom, Kuala Lumpur, MY
- 2017 Unknown Asia, Osaka International Art Fair, Osaka, JP
- 2021 – 2022 Bachelors in Textile Design, The Royal Academy of Art (KABK),
The Hague, NL
- 2018 – 2021 Bachelors in Graphic Design, The Royal Academy of Art (KABK),
The Hague, NL
- 2022 Ron Mandos Young Blood Award, Awarded by Museum Voorlinden during Best of Graduates 2022, Galerie Ron Mandos, Amsterdam