The first and up-to-date monograph on Dutch artist Silvia B. This book documents nearly 25 years of work and contains over 200 full-colour illustrations; published in conjunction with the retrospective show at Rijksmuseum Twenthe, November 2016 - May 2017. As Silvia B. profiled herself as a multidisciplinary thinker from the very start, she actually took on the design of this book along with the concept, the photography and the editing. With her roots in fashion, she chose a magazine-look, yet a very luxurious variant. With a curatorial background, her desire was to create a book resembling an exhibition in which one could wander around. She shows every series of work on its own selection of paper, alternated by essays - again on their own choice of paper - throwing light upon her work from different angles.
With texts in English: preface written by the director of the Rijksmuseum Twenthe, Arnoud Odding, and essays by Dutch novel writer Marcel Möring, Dutch art critic Jaap Röell, Belgian art critic Anne-Marie Poels, Dutch art curator/writer Werner van den Belt, English researcher in the History of Design Sarah Cheang and international trend forecaster Lidewij Edelkoort.
About Silvia B.
Silvia B. (1963) studied Sculpture and Fashion at the Willem de Kooning Academy in Rotterdam (1983-1986) and Art History at Rijks Universiteit Leiden (1990-1992). She was Director of even months of the smallest museum of the world Museum van Nagsael, Rotterdam (1995-2006) and the creator of the Dutch largest steel sculpture of a lady called U l t r a in Groningen (2004).
The meticulously and patiently crafted sculptures of Silvia B. are in the first instance highly attractive, luring the viewer to come and take a closer look. It is then that their disquieting aesthetic becomes apparent as it is realised that their beauty is of no ordinary kind. These figures are hybrid beings: between man and beast, doll and robot, confusing gender and age.
In addition to her iconic sculptures she makes drawings, photographs, a line of gloves: SKINOVER (2006-2010), and curated several projects, such as Bloody Beautiful (2007) at the Museum Rotterdam.
• Beautiful detailed studio and exhibition photography
• Every series of work is printed on its own choice of paper
• Relevant in-depth, illustrated essays accompany each series of works
• Chronological catalogue with small full colour illustrations in the back
• The making of sculptures in black and white photography
• November 2016
• Jap Sam Books
• Essays by Arnoud Odding, Marcel Möring, Jaap Röell, Werner van den Belt, Anne-Marie Poels, Sarah Cheang, Silvia B. and Lidewij Edelkoort
• Photography and Graphic Design by Silvia B.
• Translation by Holden Text & Translations
• 264 pages
• 210 full colour illustrations
• 330 x 230mm
• Integral binding, medium hard cover, soft touch laminate, copper foil print
• ISBN 978-94-90322-81-6